If your home or business has been damaged by water, your first task is to determine whether the damage will be considered flood damage or water damage. These two types of water damage are markedly different when it comes to insurance claims. 

While flood damage stems from largely natural sources such as rising tides, overflowing inland lakes, river or stream overflow, surface runoff, and mudslides, water damage may come from a wide variety of internal sources, such as:

  • Overflowing sinks, tubs or toilets
  • Burst water mains
  • Broken washing machines or dishwashers
  • Broken water pipes
  • Damaged water hoses
  • Leaking ceilings or roofs

As the definition implies, it is the source of water the determines whether the damage will be considered flood damage or water damage. If your neighbors are not experiencing damage caused by water, you are likely dealing with water damage rather than flood damage.

About Water Damage Claims

The distinction between flood damage and water damage is important because it determines what type of claim you can file. Water damage may be covered under one or two provisions in your homeowner’s insurance policy. Dwelling coverage may help pay for water damage to your home’s structure, like floors, walls, or ceilings. On the other hand, personal property coverage may help pay for water damage to your various belongings, like computers, televisions, or furniture.

Types of Water Damage Insurance Claims

There is a variety of circumstances that can lead to water damage, including, for example, the following scenarios:

  • A nearby river overflows its banks and leads to a foot of standing water in your basement, ruining the flooring and furniture. This water damage is considered flood damage rather than water damage, and will not be covered unless you have purchased flood insurance through FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). 
  • Your dishwasher overflows, ruining your kitchen floor. Your homeowner’s insurance will likely cover this, but your adjuster will check to see if you have maintained the dishwasher properly; making sure, for example, that you have kept the drain free from food clogs.
  • During the winter, your pipes freeze and burst while you’re on vacation, resulting in extensive flooring and furniture damage. Your homeowner’s policy will likely cover this, but you may have problems if your adjuster discovers you left the house unattended without heat or leaving faucets dripping a bit.

As these examples make clear, the responsibility of maintaining water-related appliances in good working order falls upon the homeowner. An insurance claims adjuster will go to great lengths to find reasons to deny your coverage, which is why you need the help of a Professional water damage Public Insurance Adjuster from the Claims Company.

How The Claims Company Can Help After Water Damage

As these examples illustrate, there is a variety of circumstances that lead to water damage, and the claim process can be complicated. Your insurance company will attempt to reduce your payout or even deny your coverage. A Professional water damage Public Insurance Adjuster from The Claims Company can help ensure your claim is paid and advocate on your behalf.

Get Started with Your Water Damage Claim

The Claims Company can help you review your insurance policy to determine the extent of your coverage, represent you in the insurance investigation, bring in an independent investigator if necessary, assist you in an accurate valuation of your damaged property, and challenge the insurance company if they try to undervalue your property. If you need our help, contact us online.