Mold is a silent enemy for many homeowners. It is a natural part of the environment and provides a valuable function outdoors, serving to break down dead organic matter, such as dead trees and fallen leaves. Indoors, however, mold reproduces by way of tiny spores that are invisible to the naked eye and float through the air unseen, potentially causing a wide variety of health problems. If you even suspect that your house may be infested with mold, contact a professional mold damage Public Insurance Adjuster at The Claims Company for help.

Mold produces allergens, irritants, and sometimes even deadly toxic substances called mycotoxins. Inhaling and/or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals, including hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash, or dermatitis. Mold can also cause asthma attacks in asthmatic people who are allergic to mold and can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of almost anyone, whether mold-allergic or not. 

Preventing Mold

The key to mold is moisture. Indoor mold may begin growing when mold spores land on wet surfaces. There are many types of mold, but none of them will grow without moisture. Mold can be controlled indoors by controlling moisture. A dehumidifier is the best way to reduce indoor moisture, but there are other ways as well, including:

  • Ventilation. Open windows when weather permits and allow air to circulate throughout your house.
  • Air conditioning. Air conditioners not only cool the air, but they also help reduce moisture.
  • Fans. Fans are a good, cheap way to keep air circulating through the house.
  • Replacing furnace/AC filters. Clogged filters prevent the free circulation of air.
  • Reduce or eliminate indoor plants. Plants release moisture in the air. Try keeping them outside.
  • Kitchen exhaust fans. Use these whenever you are cooking. They help reduce steam, which is just moisture.
  • Clean or replace rugs. Rugs trap moisture. If you notice them start to smell damp or musty, have them cleaned or replaced.
  • Basket of charcoal. Charcoal absorbs both odor and moisture. Keep a basket inside; They will help reduce moisture for 2-3 months.
  • Rock salt. Like charcoal, rock salt absorbs moisture.

How The Claims Company Can Help With Mold Damage

Indoor mold is dangerous and often causes unnoticed damage to your house, and the claim process can be complicated. A professional mold damage Public Insurance Adjuster from The Claims Company can help you deal with any mold issues you may find.

Get Started with Your Mold Damage Claim

The Claims Company can help you review your insurance policy to determine the extent of your coverage, represent you in the insurance investigation, bring in an independent investigator if necessary, assist you in an accurate valuation of your damaged property, help you get your claims process started, and see you through to a mold-free environment. If you need our help, contact us online.